Return to Home Page
About The Club
Muir Cottage
Club Activities
Meets Calendar
Past Meets
Newsletters
Club Membership
Club Contact Information
Club Forum
Links
Miscellaneous Items

Last updated: 04/03/16

 

Background Muir Cottage Projects Journal Training Library

About the Club

Background
Based in Aberdeen, the Club was founded in 1887 and is the oldest and probably the largest hillwalking and climbing club in Scotland. Its coat-of-arms was granted in 1965. Its objectives are to encourage mountaineering, with special reference to the Cairngorm mountains; to promote competence, safety, knowledge and responsibility of attitude amongst mountaineers; to offer opportunities to engage in that pursuit in company with others; to impart information concerning mountains; to keep under review rights of access to Scottish mountains; and to issue publications. Its members have from time to time included a number of climbers of repute, but most are simply hillwalkers with interests ranging from cross-country walks, through more strenuous hillwalking (and unashamed Munro-bagging), to serious rock and ice-climbing.

 


Cairngorm Club at summit of Mount Keen, 1890

 


Muir Cottage




Muir Cottage
The Club ‘hut’, known as Muir of Inverey, is situated at OS grid reference 076896 some 8 kilometres west of Braemar, on the north side of the Linn of Dee road, about 200 metres beyond the Inverey Youth Hostel. It is available for use by Club members and guests accompanying them and also by members of other recognised climbing clubs, with whom it is much in demand for weekends throughout the year. Bookings must be made to the Huts Booking Secretary, and early booking is always advisable
Further information.


 

Projects

With permission of the relevant estates, and sometimes with support funding from elsewhere, the Club has undertaken a number of projects over its history, such as the erection of summit indicators, e.g. on Lochnagar in 1924 and Ben Macdhui in 1925, and of bridges, e.g. over the Druie on the Lairig Ghru track (OS grid ref. 927078) in 1912 and the Luibeg (013942) in 1948. To mark its centenary in 1987, it established a 1.72 ha woodland regeneration area, known as Piper's Wood, in the middle of Glen Ey (098857), and in 1995 the Club undertook the repair of the worst-eroded parts of the footpath into Coire Etchachan.
In 2012,
as part of its 125-year celebrations, the Club completed access and way-marking improvements to the Western Tier crag at the Pass of Ballater, and in 2013 the Piper’s Wood area was approximately doubled in size.
In 2015, a further area was fenced off against deer at Altanour at the end of Glen Ey (at 083823).


 


Lochnagar Summit Indicator


A Cairngorm Club Journal


 

Club Journal
The Club has published the Cairngorm Club Journal since its earliest days, and the Club Library contains a complete set in bound volumes. Currently, an issue is published every second or third year, and is sent to members free of charge. The latest issue of the Journal, Volume 22, Number 111, was produced in 2015. The Journal Editor is always assembling material for future issues and welcomes articles, notes, book reviews and other contributions at any time.

 

Training
The Club encourages members to become proficient in all aspects of hillcraft. At the most basic level, participation in the President’s Party and simply walking in company with more experienced members should help new members acquire certain skills. The Club also organises courses e.g. in winter skills, navigation and first aid, at minimal cost; details are given in the newsletters, though information about courses aimed at newer members is usually sent direct to them. Members wishing to avail themselves of this should apply to the Training Co-ordinator with details of the course and its cost in advance of the training being undertaken.

 


 

Club Library
The Club has a collection of about 1000 mountaineering books, journals, etc., housed in the Special Collections Centre of Aberdeen University Library at King’s College in Old Aberdeen. Opening hours are 9.30 to 4.30 every weekday (public holidays excepted). The entire University Library Catalogue can be searched online without a password at
https://aulib.abdn.ac.uk/F.
To inspect, and/or to borrow, any Club item, it is necessary to contact Special Collections at speclib@abdn.ac.uk or 01224 272598 to specify the item(s) wanted; it is not now possible to browse the shelves. It is also necessary to register for an access pass at the Library’s Welcome Desk with photographic ID and a Club membership card; a registration form can be completed online at http://www.abdn.ac.uk/ library/get-started/visiting-us/selfregistration). Alternatively, the Club Librarian (librarian@cairngormclub.org.uk) can be asked to borrow specific items on behalf of others.
For further information, please contact the Club Librarian.
A listing of the entire Club Library collection at a recent date can be downloaded
here (Excel format).